How to Buy a Trampoline
Trampolines provide fun and exercise for the whole family. First determine which size and shape satisfies your needs and space constraints. Then be sure to check out our assembly and care tips, as well as important safety guidelines.
Shape and Size
Companies manufacture a variety of trampoline shapes today including, round, octagonal, rectangular and square.
- Round trampolines are designed to keep the jumper in the center of the apparatus and are mainly used for backyard jumping.
- Octagonal trampolines allow for a larger jumping area without pulling you into the middle. Also, the straight sides tend to offer a natural orientation for the jumper.
- Rectangular trampolines allow for a larger space to jump and are usually purchased by people interested in gymnastics. The springs are also more flexible, so the jumper can enjoy a higher bounce.
- Square trampolines are constructed similarly to rectangular trampolines but the bounce is not as high.
Recreational models can vary from a 6-foot diameter to a 16 or 17-foot diameter. To make sure you have adequate space for the trampoline, follow these tips:
- A minimum of 24 feet of overhead clearance is required.
- Horizontal clearance of at least 2 feet all around the trampoline must be maintained from objects and possible hazards including electric power wiring, tree limbs, recreational structures and fences.
2 extra features you may want to consider include:
- A mesh ring– wraps around the trampoline to provide more safety and security.
- A trampoline cover–designed to protect the trampoline from rain and other inclement weather.
Assembly and Care
Some assembly may be required, so if you decide to purchase a trampoline make sure you read and follow all directions. For your safety, never change or skip assembly directions.
A certain amount of care is also necessary with a trampoline. Here are a few tips:
- Always make sure the trampoline is dry before using it. The trampoline surface can get very slippery.
- If wintry conditions exist in your area, be sure to remove any snow so that it does not accumulate on the trampoline’s bed. This will cause the springs to stretch.
- If severe winds exist, you may want to remove the frame pads and store them inside to prevent wear.
Safety is a very important concept when using a trampoline. Below are guidelines all trampoline users should follow. Make sure you consider them before your purchase:
- As stated above, make sure you have the adequate space around your trampoline before you start jumping.
- Only one person should jump on a trampoline at a time.
- Jumpers should always be supervised.
- You should never jump on a wet trampoline bed.
- Use the trampoline only under apropriate weather conditions. Gusty winds can cause jumpers to lose control.