Properly fitting your child’s athletic shoes will contribute to the healthy growth of their feet. In addition they will allow your child to participate in a variety sports activities.
To properly measure your child’s foot, follow the simple instructions below:
How To Measure Your Child’s Foot
- While seated, place his/her foot on a piece of paper
- With a pencil, trace around their foot. Hold the pencil as straight up-and-down as possible while measuring and be sure that your pencil remains in constant contact with their foot during this process.
- To find his/her foot length, measure the distance between the two points on your tracing. Reduce this number by 5 mm, or 1/5-inch.
- The result is your child’s foot length and the number you will use to determine their shoe size
- Take your child’s measurements at the end of the day, when his/her feet are their largest
- Have your child wear the socks they will wear with their new shoes when you take their foot measurement
- Measure both feet and fit shoes to the larger foot
- It is best to measure your child’s foot while he/she is standing
- You may take measurements in inches or centimeters. To convert inches to centimeters, multiply inches by 2.54.
Find Your Child’s Shoe Size:
Since shoes are made differently depending on style and brand, use this as a general guideline to follow when finding the right size shoe.