[Written by Peter Nielsen].
Even with the best intentions and the healthiest food, many of us will feel bloated and sluggish going into the new year after the holidays. Whether it’s due to rich food, too much food or the seasonal change of diet, you may want concentrate on cleaning the toxins out of your system. A few indicators that you may want to detox are:
• Feel tired or sluggish
• Have trouble concentrating
• Suffer from headaches or joint pain
• Have trouble sleeping
• Have gas, bloating or indigestion or other gastrointestinal irregularities
• Are depressed, irritable or have mood changes
• Have recurring respiratory problems.
A few easy-to-remember tips are:
• Read the labels. If you can’t say it, don’t eat it.
• Keep away from processed, prepared and packaged food.
• Allocate 70% of your nutritional intake to vegetables. Whether it’s a fresh, crisp salad, roasted root vegetables or your favorite steamed veggies, the fiber will keep your digestive system happy while nutrient-rich veggies will keep you energized… and they’re low in calories!
• Eat more smaller meals throughout the day. It will help stabilize blood sugar levels and give your digestive system a break.
• Drink plenty of water!
Eat a healthy, fiber-rich bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Alcohol depletes your potassium levels, so add some beans, leafy greens, salmon or avocados to give it a boost! Tame that over-active sweet tooth with clementines or pears! Put the cookies and candy out of sight and replace them with a bowl of nuts or fruit! Focus in on that weak spot in your day and turn it into a strength-builder!
Try a good, simple, nutritional detox, and get ready for the new year!
*To receive exclusive Dunham’s coupons and information on new products, events and sales, enroll in our e-mail or text message programs (or both). Sign Up Now